Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

keep away from the small people


Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great. -- Mark Twain

with my long commute to atlanta 3 times a week for school, i have a lot of time to think, reflect and process. i have really enjoyed my time singing and listening to music, chatting it up with GOD, working through issues, translating everything i think and hear on the radio into spanish, and basking in the silence when i'm finally tired of hearing traffic updates that tell me my commute will last just a little bit longer than i would like.

i catch myself smiling a lot and dreaming about my future, too. these past few weeks have been great. and i'm grateful for how good GOD has been to me.

but these last few weeks haven't come without some challenges. isn't it "funny" how right as you embark on a great journey, something happens and someone attempts to bring you down? well, funny is not the right word. i could offer a few alternatives, but i'll be nice and refrain. =)

there are people who don't want to do what it takes to be successful. that's their prerogative. but what does that have to do with me? why is it so important that they drag me down with them? what's worse is when they make it their goal to destroy you. misery loves company, i guess. i feel sorry for them on some level because i believe that hurting people hurt people. i wonder what causes them to be so spiteful and vengeful. but then, i think we all have choices. they don't have to wallow in the muck of life. they can choose to get help, to work on themselves, to strive for wholeness, to learn to forgive. that's what i've spent years doing. i chose to have a better life. it hasn't been easy, but i'm doing it.

life's too short to be this dang miserable!

i confess that i haven't always been encouraging to others. i haven't always given lift to their dreams and aspirations. i regret that.

these last few years, though, i have tried really hard to change that. and it is my desire that people live their dreams. it is my desire that i live my dreams. i want others to feel like they can be great. the success of others has no bearing on whether or not i'm a successful or good person. and my success doesn't mean someone else is inferior in some way. we all have our own paths to follow.

so i pray for the favor of GOD, not just for me but also for others who aspire to be more. i pray for focus, that we will stay on the right path and not be distracted. and i pray for selective hearing, so we can listen to what is encouraging and block out the negativity from the nay-sayers.

No comments: